Monday, April 18, 2005

TERTERA!

We call it in Aleppo TERTERA (with a thick T), and I am not sure if it is called the same in other Syrian cities, or if other Arab countries have them…
I haven’t seen one in our streets for a while, probably because they were banned (I wonder why?!!).
The thing that always bugs me about TERTERA is that the driver always seems to be enjoying himself, as if he is enjoying torturing us with the horrible noise his “vehicle” makes. However, I must admit, I would like to “test drive” one myself someday, wouldn’t you?!

3 Comments:

Blogger Amr Faham said...

welcome Rami, i will add you right now!
people in Syria like noise and i don't understand why.. even if they like to hello they say it as loudly as they can till everyone around knows that somone is meeting someone..
tyhe same thing is on the Terteras like the one of the most important Syrian invention in the 20's century.
and i have to tell the odience that we have many many diffrent kinds of it..

April 18, 2005 9:47 AM  
Blogger Omar said...

Tertera's are quite popular in India as well.. Except sometime a human is the main power source

April 19, 2005 2:53 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Marhaba! I agree...the noise is quite horrible...But somehow I can't imagine Syria without the typical old hardworking men driving it or riding horses selling stuff ...I grew up used to that.So I have this strange unexplained love for that sight,for them..It's a part of Syria I guese. And yes, I actually would very much like to try to drive it!
And by the way.. Terterah is the name for it in all of Syria.

April 19, 2005 3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home