Saturday, May 28, 2005

Ave Maria, Gratia Plena

The Virgin Mary
(The Greek Catholics Cathedral in Aleppo)


Aleppine School of Icons-
The Theotokos

According to the Christian’s Calendar, the month of May is devoted to the Virgin Mary (Mariyam).

Each year In Aleppo, many Christian girls and women choose to commit themselves (nedzer) to Our Lady Full of Grace.
For the entire month of May, they would only wear a traditional modest blue dress, with a white rope as a belt (blue and white are the two colors usually associated with the Virgin Mary), and participate in the Rosary prayers being held daily in all churches of Aleppo. Some of them also choose to adhere to certain fasts or participate in charity works.

Muslims also believe in the Virgin Mary, and some of them visit the many shrines that were built for her in Syria (such as the one in Sednaya, outside Damascus).
The Holy Quran has devoted an entire chapter (Surah) to Mary (Surat Mariyam), from which I have chosen the following verses:

[19:16] Mention in the scripture Mary. She isolated herself from her family, into an eastern location.
[19:17] While a barrier separated her from them, we sent to her our Spirit. He went to her in the form of a human being.
[19:18] She said, "I seek refuge in the Most Gracious, that you may be righteous."
[19:19] He said, "I am the messenger of your Lord, to grant you a pure son."
[19:20] She said, "How can I have a son, when no man has touched me; I have never been unchaste."
[19:21] He said, "Thus said your Lord, `It is easy for Me. We will render him a sign for the people, and mercy from us. This is a predestined matter.' "

17 Comments:

Blogger Ayman said...

I was walking in Qassa' yesterday and saw girls wearing this blue dress, and didn't know what it was about. Thanks Rami.

May 28, 2005 12:03 PM  
Blogger Steliano Ponticos said...

rami excellent post really these are things everyone should know about Syria..it really shows a very civilized face.

May 28, 2005 2:19 PM  
Blogger Sinan said...

Mashallah good post.. It's my first time in your blog and I like it very much :)
Keep up the good work :)

May 28, 2005 7:52 PM  
Blogger Ghalia said...

That's explain also the girls I saw in Qass3 too last Frieday....good thing to know

May 28, 2005 8:35 PM  
Blogger Dina said...

Great post Rami, I like the way you blended the muslim part into the post. I've also seen little girls wearing these blue dresses walking near a church in Al Chalan area...

May 29, 2005 12:44 AM  
Blogger Steliano Ponticos said...

me again..I wanted to ask if you knew the Baron hotel. I watched a report on TV5 and it was stunning, if you know it well, could you try and prepare a post about it.

May 29, 2005 2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post...I hope it can be some kind of reflection of what young syrians are and how they can be united without necessarly being influenced by the media and showing any fanatism or hatred towards others beliefs.

do you know anything about the Madayeh that take place on fridays of this month?

May 29, 2005 4:45 AM  
Blogger Rami said...

Ayman, Ghalia, Dina, I am so happy that you found my post informative (I was afraid that no one would understand what blue dress I am talking about!!)

Staliano, of course I know the Baron Hotel!!!
It is on my future posts lineup…
BTW did you watch the “24 hours in Syria” program on TV5 that aired a couple of months ago? It was amazing!!! I taped the whole thing…
They talked on it in length about the Baron hotel

Sinan, have you been hiding somewhere?? I haven’t been to your blog either!!!
I’ll link to it right away….
ufffff… another Damascene Blog :)

Ananymous, very well said…
To be honest with you, I don’t even know what Madayeh are?!!
I hope that someone reading these comments would answer your question…
Sorry!

May 29, 2005 8:15 AM  
Blogger Oz said...

nice blog keep on man!

May 29, 2005 5:05 PM  
Blogger Ayman said...

Madayeh مدائح is the plural of Madeeh مديح which literally means praise, i.e praise of prophet Mohammad (PBUH). It is usually in the form of religious chanting.

I don't know why there would Madeeh on Fridays of this month. Anonymous 4:45, can you explain?

May 29, 2005 7:01 PM  
Anonymous Fadi-Amman said...

cool blog Rami!
Madayeh: is a service in the byzantine rite for the Holy Mother but it is usually held on the Fridays of the lent.
keep up the good work!

May 29, 2005 9:18 PM  
Blogger nadim said...

Prised are the ones that have a spirit such as you to persevere and invigorating to liberate us from indecauilaty and tubular sight.
Rami,it is not the jest or the act in symbols that is needed, as much as the feelings derived from such symbols .
It is a spirit as yours that will see us to freedom of thought and practice .

May 29, 2005 9:24 PM  
Blogger nadim said...

Prised are the ones that have a spirit such as yours to persevere and invigorate to liberate us from individuality and tubular sight.
Rami,it is not the jest in the acts or the symbols that is needed, as much as the feelings derived from such symbols for us to follow in action in our every day life ,at home and out.
It is a spirit as yours that will see us to freedom of thought and practice .

May 29, 2005 9:34 PM  
Blogger Ayman said...

oops! I thought the word is only used by Muslims!

May 30, 2005 12:15 AM  
Blogger Rami said...

Oz, I am glad u liked my blog
I’ll link to yours right away.

Fadi-Amman, thank you so much for stopping by, and for the explanation.
I still can’t recall hearing this word before. I might have participated in this service wihtout me knowing that it’s called madayeh, or we have a different name for it here in Aleppo, or...
I will check it out.

Ayman, I also thought that this word is only used by Muslims!!!

Nadim, It's very nice of you to say that, and I thank for your kind words.
I completely agree with you; symbols and jest of acts mean nothing unless we understand the wisdom behind them, and try to apply it in our daily life and actions.

May 30, 2005 10:00 AM  
Blogger aleppian said...

HI good pics. Can you put the new statue which gave Russian Orthodox church to Syria?

May 30, 2005 11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! here

March 18, 2007 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home