Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Happy Splish-Splash Day


Yesterday was Splish-Splash day ( عيد الرشيشي) in Aleppo…

On this day, the streets of certain quarters in Aleppo (Azizieh, slemanieh and midan) turn into a war zone, where people of all ages (but mainly teenagers) engage in water fights…
The weapons of choice are water balloons, but some people (store owners) use water hoses to splash pedestrians (I have also seen people in pick-up trucks filled with buckets of water)...

The festival is also “observed” inside the numerous swimming pools we have in Aleppo. The main event there is throwing people (fully dressed) into the water, the moment they step inside the swimming club…

Before Aleppian (who took this photo) explained it to me, I had no idea what the origin of this “holiday” is, who invented it, how or who decides its date (I usually discover that from the unusual amount of water in the streets or after being hit by a flying balloon)…

Bon Reshesheh!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Olivia said...

Hi Rami, I read Aleppian's post and still don't know who started it and why? So tell us please :)

We had a very very hot day a couple of weeks ago in London and I was at an outdoor restaurant with my date. It was so hot we could hardly eat and I told him I would love a bucket of water thrown over my head!
However, this summer Londoners are being cautioned to save water as we have not had enough rain lately. So I am surprised that in Syria you are able to use water in this way!

July 05, 2005 1:17 PM  
Blogger Steliano Ponticos said...

I didn't know you had that resheeshee day..what a fun idea. I like Aleppo even more now.

July 05, 2005 8:54 PM  
Blogger Rami said...

To be honest with you Olivia, I don’t know much about this “holiday”…I hope Aleppian will post a comment explaining more to all of us…
You are right…it’s surprising to Syrians wasting water like this (and they shouldn’t), but it’s a tradition, and traditions are religiously followed here in this part of the world.

Steliano, SPLASH!! :)

July 06, 2005 1:11 AM  
Blogger Steliano Ponticos said...

SPLASH BACK TO YOU RAMI :)

July 06, 2005 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it film editing schools

March 17, 2007 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Buy Levitra said...

Great article! Thanks.

August 18, 2007 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Phentermine said...

Thanks for interesting article.

August 19, 2007 2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonimous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

September 10, 2007 6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home